Monday, May 30, 2011

The Dawn Call to Prayer in Marrakech


This one isn't mine, but it's a wonderful one. If you've ever spent a night in Marrakech and were awake before dawn, you've heard the symphony of callers to prayer launching haunting recitations into the sky from louspeakers across town, culminating in the call to prayer. My own recording of this from out my window is trapped in a format I can't play at the moment, but The Exploratory Music Service has shared a lovely recording of this on the web. Highly recommended!

The Exploratory Music Service

3 comments:

  1. I can't wait to see how this blog develops!

    I have the following tapes encoded which I picked up in Marrakech and from various taxi drivers a few years back .. I need proper translations, but I know them as

    Salah Asmaali - (Editions Hassania EH1127, TC, Morocco)
    Sawt Al Menara (Bande Originale, TC, Morocco)
    Unknown - (Editions Hassania EH1125, TC, Morocco, 200-)
    Unknown (Voix Bassatine) (found tape, Morocco)
    VA - Disco Saâda (found tape, 99-100 Souk Laayouna Route Mediana, Casa Blanca 280341, Morocco)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good starting! Keep up the work!

    ReplyDelete